Friday 30 March 2012

Rugs and Texture

In last nights blog post, Abigail Ahern posted a great post all about Rugs and Texture. Here's a snippet;


'Imperfection, eclecticism and quirkiness is how I described my style recently to a journalist. For me (at least) it’s so hard to be surprised anymore so what I set out to do is add layers of interest to give people the opportunity to be tantalised. In the store, and for my design work I want to create spaces so dense with references its impossible to know where to look. An easy way to start is with rugs. Rugs are great for adding that tactile element, and not just that for open plan spaces (that at times can feel rather cold) they are great for softening. Use them as a pathway; layer one over another if you dare. For one of the episodes, I fell in love with an Ikea rug not dissimilar to below. Black and white striped it adds an immediate contemporary tone to the space as well as grounding it beautifully. You can pick up rugs for a song if you know where to look, auction houses, flea markets, eBay, Anthropologie (beautiful), Urban Outfitters (cool) or take a trip to Morocco or Istanbul and wander the souks (so want to do that)!'

See the small Morrocan rug cushion on the rug? It's gorgeous.
She's nailed it on the head with her ideas about rugs, They transform a space, especially if you have a particularly bland or ugly carpet that you want to cover up. It's an easy way to present your style or quirkiness (if you're Abigail or me) with a little texture and pattern. My preference is mostly Moroccan rugs, which my parents and I have collected over the years from trips to Marrakech. Ikea is also fantastic if you have a large floor space to fill with not much cash to spend on beautiful expensive rugs. Here's a few examples of what rugs I would choose;





Found Here

No comments:

Post a Comment